If you’ve been covering up your legs or arms due to unsightly spider or varicose veins, you’ll be pleased to find there are several treatment options and learn that this is the ideal time of year for vascular treatment.
What are spider veins and varicose veins?
Spider veins are thin, twisted blood vessels that typically appear on your legs and feet but can be troublesome on other areas of the body. Usually harmless, they get their name from the visible spiderweb pattern of thin red, purple or blue lines and can cause aching or burning. Varicose veins are visibly large, raised blood vessels that can be especially painful.
What options are available?
There are several options available to treat spider veins and varicose veins. Laser surgery sends strong bursts of light into the vein to make it fade and disappear over time. Sclerotherapy involves injecting the veins with a solution that irritates the lining of the blood vessel, turning it into scar tissue and slowly fade.
Why treat spider veins and varicose veins in the fall and winter months?
Even though summer is over, now is the ideal time to address spider and varicose veins. Here are five reasons why you should consider vascular treatment during the fall and winter months:
- Results take time – Fading the vein takes anywhere from a few weeks up to two months.
- Multiple treatments may be needed – Veins on the face and upper body are usually treated every 4-6 weeks, while leg veins are treated every 10-12 weeks. Up to three sessions may be needed to obtain optimal results.
- Unsightly and often-uncomfortable support stockings – While compression stockings aren’t always necessary after laser vein treatments, they are commonly needed after sclerotherapy. They fit snugly around your legs to help maintain blood flow and lessen pain and swelling.
- Avoid tanning before and after treatment – Be sure to stay out of the tanning bed or avoid laying out in the sun four weeks before and two weeks after treatment. An SPF of 30+ must be used after treatment.
- You’ll want to take it easy – You may have restrictions after treatment to avoid strenuous activity or standing for long periods, especially if you have had varicose vein treatment. Tylenol and cold gel packs can help reduce pain and discomfort.
Contact us at New Look Skin Center to schedule an appointment and discuss your options for vascular vein treatment.