VASCULAR TREATMENT FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
While compression stockings are common post sclerotherapy treatments, they are not absolutely necessary after laser vein treatments.
When should I return for my next treatment? How many treatments am I going to need?
The face and upper body is typically every 4-6 weeks while lower extremities or leg veins every 10-12 weeks. Typically 3 sessions may be needed, but this is not guaranteed. Post care is a crucial factor in determining the number of sessions one will need.
Am I going to see immediate results?
No, the fading of the vein will be gradual and will take anywhere from a few weeks up to two months.
What’s the contraindication with laser vein treatment?
- Avoid tanning of any kind four weeks before and two weeks after the treatment.
- Skin types V-VI cannot be treated.
- Diabetic or those with poor circulation cannot be treated for leg veins.
- Patients who take blood thinning medications or any medication that may cause photosensitivity.
- Using numbing cream is not recommended.
What to do and not do after treatment?
- Cold gel packs may be applied if necessary to reduce discomfort.
- Tylenol is recommended for any pain.
- Any sun exposure for two weeks after treatment; SPF 30 + must be applied.
- Strenuous exercise or standing for long periods of time.
- Red wine.
- Rubbing/scrubbing or scratching treated areas.
- Taking hot shower and sauna or jacuzzi use for 48-72 hours after treatment.
- Wait at least eight weeks before next treatment, as resolution of the vessels continues throughout this entire period.
Your leg veins may appear bruised or darker red following treatment. This discoloration will fade over the next few weeks. Brown discoloration may take several months to fade.
What are the possible side effects?
What are possible side effects of vascular treatments?